Monday, September 2, 2013

Embroidery at Craftland

Today I'd like to introduce myself to you all, I'm Jessica Aldred, the embroidery teacher and general embroidery guru at Craftland.

Canvaswork class sample
I trained to be a professional designer and embroiderer at the Royal School of Needlework (RSN) in the UK, and over three years I learnt 30 different hand embroidery techniques as well as restoration and conservation and art and design. After graduating I went to work in costume at the Royal Opera House in London where I bought and maintained the materials used to make the costumes. I worked on operas such as Madame Butterfly and Tosca and also for The Royal Ballet . After three years there I returned to the RSN where I spent four years working as the education coordinator. During that time I was hugely honoured to be a member of the team who produced the embroidery for the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress and veil. In 2011 my first book was published- Adventures in Needlework- which I co-authored with Emily Peacock who is well known in the UK for her bright, contemporary needlepoint kits.

Last year my husband and I moved to Dubai as a result of his job, but it was a timely move for me- I was ready for a fresh start. I soon discovered Craftland and was very impressed with their shop, classroom and team of experts, so I was thrilled when they offered me a job! Since I started I've been busy teaching, helping to select new stock for the shop, developing classes, designing and making samples and preparing for the embroidery clubs. In addition to the photograph above here are some of the new class samples I've created;

Goldwork class sample



Stumpwork class sample
Our classes start up again on 15th September and for embroidery there's now a clear path of progression from classes for complete beginners up to more complex and advanced techniques. If you're not sure where to start or what the different techniques are pop in to the shop, give us a call or email our class coordinator iman@mycraftland.com.

Our embroidery club resumes on 2nd October and for those of you who don't know about our clubs they're held once a month and bring together groups who like to share their enthusiasm for a particular form of craft. During the clubs there's a 'make and take'- we provide you with a kit for a small project which introduces you to a new technique or product. There's also guest speakers and a show and tell- we love to see what you're creating at home too!

And last but not least embroidery clinics are on Monday evenings from 7pm to 9:30pm and Tuesday mornings from 9:30am to 12noon. The clinics are for you to bring your own project and get expert help and advice, although if you just fancy hanging out and stitching with like minded people you're always welcome.

You can see our class descriptions, prices and full schedule here. If you'd like to know more about me and my work you can visit my website here. Thank you for reading, and I hope to see you at Craftland soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment